Minaal was founded on the core principle of reducing travel drag, by offering durable gear that saves you time without sacrificing style. Co-founder Jimmy Hayes joins us this week to talk about product design, soliciting initial feedback, prototyping new models, and business lessons he’s learned along the way.
- 03:00 – Background of Minaal, inspiration, and product lines
- 04:30 – Embracing yourself as a challenger in the marketplace
- 06:00 – Finding the niche between travel and business gear
- 10:00 – Identifying and working with your first customers
- 15:00 – Scaling back the initial concept and integrating feedback
- 17:00 – Living in Vietnam and modifying prototypes with the factory
- 19:00 – Learning about product design, components, and material
- 20:30 – Pounding the streets and getting feedback with a sample
- 22:00 – Figuring out what feedback to keep and what to discard
- 29:30 – Crowdfunding and how Kickstarter works
- 33:00 – Strategies on Kickstarter, covering your bases, and streamlining the process
- 39:00 – Benefits of having a healthy dose of ignorance starting out
Mentions in the Episode:
Episode Length: 41:51
- Direct Download: Right-click here and click “Save As” for a direct download
- iTunes: Listen and subscribe on iTunes for free!
- Android: Listen via Stitcher Internet Radio streaming
- Blackberry: Listen via the Blackberry Podcast App
- Zune: Listen via Zune
- If you enjoyed this episode, leave a positive review on iTunes!