Terry is attending a conference in Bangkok this week, so he pulled aside Matt Kowalak and Jamon Yerger from Running With China to have a chat about the upcoming Canton Fair. With over 20 years of combined sourcing experience in China, we go through some basic strategies cross-referenced with Terry’s own experience this year for a holistic and complete perspective for someone just starting out or experienced in the game.
- Global Sources vs. Canton Fair
- Should you visit a supplier’s factory or see them at Canton Fair?
- How mature should your product idea be prior to visiting a supplier?
- What are the best practices in defending your intellectual property?
- How can somebody reverse engineer a product’s supply chain?
- What are other costs outside of manufacturing to look out for?
- What are some best practices for import duties and customs?
- What’s the typical organization chart of a supplier in China?
- When should you use an agent or go direct?
- How do agents typically get compensated and what makes a good one?
- What are some dangers of pushing your supplier or agent too much?
- How negotiable are MOQs and what you should look out for?
- How can someone maintain proper expectations and supplier relationships being overseas?
- “Running With China” bootcamp for pre/post-event meetups
Mentions in the Episode:
- #BALLER Leather
- High Cappin’
- Running With China
- TMBA 265: Visiting China – Why Entrepreneurs Travel To The Canton Fair
- Direct Download: Right-click here and click “Save As” for a direct download
- iTunes: Listen and subscribe on iTunes
- Android: Listen via Stitcher Radio streaming
- Blackberry: Listen via the Blackberry Podcast App
- Zune: Listen via Zune