Huckberry is a delicate blend of your favorite hardware store, grandpa’s store, and favorite magazine all combined into one rockin’ website. Targeting the young professional that enjoys the outdoors, Huckberry is a subscription based e-commerce business that sells gear, apparel, men’s essentials, and holiday gifts. Tune in to hear how co-founder Richard Greiner bootstrapped the company and built a massive email list of mid-six figures in under three years.
- 02:00 – Background of Huckberry since 2010
- 03:00 – Gauging potential traction for an idea
- 04:30 – Why you always throw out your first pancake
- 06:00 – Customer or Product, Chicken vs. Egg
- 08:30 – Getting customers to opt-in the email list
- 11:00 – Executing the pre-sale model that’s capital light
- 13:00 – Viral coefficients and building momentum
- 15:30 – Building the initial brand equity through content marketing
- 18:30 – Focusing on mind-share rather than wallet share
- 22:00 – Huckberry dollars and referral credits
- 23:30 – How the discount / wholesale / online retail model works
- 26:00 – Re-branding the wholesale products for the Huckberry experience
- 30:00 – Challenges of moving the needle as you get bigger and bigger
- 33:00 – Trying to find the silver bullet
Mentions in the Episode:
Episode Length: 35:18
- Direct Download: Right-click here and click “Save As” for a direct download
- iTunes: Listen and subscribe on iTunes for free!
- Android: Listen via Stitcher Internet Radio streaming
- Blackberry: Listen via the Blackberry Podcast App
- Zune: Listen via Zune
- If you enjoyed this episode, leave a positive review on iTunes!