Tune in this week to hear how Ryan Beltran and his team raised $390,997 on Kickstarter to fund their first shipment of Original Grain watches. Original Grain watches are made from all-natural wood and stainless steel. Original Grain is a lifestyle brand meant to emulate that of an OG – an individual that stands out from the rest: a leader, trend setter, and a down right boss.
- 02:30 – Background of product sourcing and Original Grain
- 04:00 – Learning a skillset on someone else’s dime
- 07:00 – The biggest misconception of product sourcing in China
- 08:30 – First design, prototyping, and finding the supplier
- 10:00 – Should you go with Alibaba or peer recommendations?
- 11:30 – How many prototypes before launching the Kickstarter campaign?
- 13:00 – Finding suppliers for different components of your product
- 15:00 – Asking for customer references when filtering out suppliers
- 16:30 – Working with minimum order quantities and Kickstarter goals
- 18:30 – Setting tiers and levels in Kickstarter
- 20:00 – Creating an early bird special to imply scarcity
- 22:00 – What are stretch goals, and how to set them up?
- 25:00 – Dangers of getting too carried away with stretch goals
- 28:00 – Don’t confuse shipping one item with one thousand items
- 32:00 – Shooting product photos and balancing quality/budget
- 33:00 – Figuring out sea freight, air freight, and product packaging tips
- 37:30 – Quick primer to sea freight, US customs, HR codes, and logistics
- 41:00 – Amount of customer service required in a Kickstarter campaign
Mentions in the Episode:
- Kickstarter Campaign
- Original Grain
- Location 180 Interview
- Technology Drive
- Harmonized System Code (HS)
- Gary Vaynerchuk
Episode Length: 44:47
- Direct Download: Right-click here and click “Save As” for a direct download
- iTunes: Listen and subscribe on iTunes for free!
- Android: Listen via Stitcher Internet Radio streaming
- Blackberry: Listen via the Blackberry Podcast App
- Zune: Listen via Zune
- If you enjoyed this episode, leave a positive review on iTunes!