How do you create content to get people to buy products on your online store? In this episode we discuss the entire process from figuring out who your ideal customer is, uncovering what they care about, to creating content in the right context, so that they ultimately resonate and become a part of your tribe.
To get a worksheet that will help you with this exercise, check out the Mackay 66 (it’s free).
- 04:00 – Background of the phrase “content marketing”
- 07:00 – Should you go for quantity or quality?
- 09:30 – Building a relationship and branding
- 11:00 – If you try to appeal to everyone, you appeal to no one
- 11:30 – Finding the right context for your content
- 13:00 – Three case studies of how to create content
- 16:00 – Is content marketing suitable for everyone?
- 19:00 – Putting in sweat equity and leveling the playing field
- 21:00 – Being part of a tribe and different brands
- 23:00 – How to build the ideal customer persona and avatar
- 26:00 – Plans are meaningless, but planning is meaningful
- 28:30 – Getting specific with your e-commerce content creation
- 30:30 – How to measure the results of content marketing
- 32:30 – Three quick wins in e-commerce content marketing
- 35:30 – Long-ball strategy and putting the time in to your work
- 39:00 – Setting benchmarks and milestones for the business
- 41:30 – Lofty mission statements and finding a bigger drive
Mentions in the Episode:
- Seth Godin
- David Ogilvy
- Content Marketing Institute
- Joe Pulizzi
- Abercrombie Wants Thin Customers
- Empire Flippers
- Dan Andrews
- Ian Schoen
- Rob Walling
- Startups For The Rest Of Us
- Lifestyle Business Podcast
Episode Length: 46:45
- Direct Download: Right-click here and click “Save As” for a direct download
- iTunes: Listen and subscribe on iTunes for free!
- Android: Listen via Stitcher Internet Radio streaming
- Blackberry: Listen via the Blackberry Podcast App
- Zune: Listen via Zune
- If you enjoyed this episode, leave a positive review on iTunes!
Cool mate, awesome to be on. Funny listening back now to my “niche even further” conversation and I have done so since, will let you know how it goes!
Really good interview. Good stuff here.
Glad to hear – got another one coming up on how to create email campaigns based around this concept!
Hi Damian and Terry
Superb PodCast a ton of great info and ideas Damian. Thanks for sharing so much.
Thanks Steve, definitely putting this to use myself too.