Cris Bucknall join us from Ecochic to share the story of starting an online Eco-friendly furniture and home-wares business, way before the movement caught on in recent years. One of the first e-commerce vendors in this niche, Ecochic is now one of the leading players in the Australian market.
- 03:00 – Background of Eco-friendly products
- 05:30 – Version one is better than version NONE
- 06:00 – Early marketing blunders in finding customers
- 07:00 – Nailing on-site SEO from day one
- 10:30 – PR, SEO, and re-purposing content
- 11:30 – Getting your first order cancelled
- 13:30 – Power of customer service and word of mouth
- 16:00 – Synergy of photography-based products and Pinterest
- 19:00 – Having a content publication calender
- 21:30 – Magazine editorial endorsements, paid advertising, and PR
- 25:00 – How Pressloft works and creates effective PR outreach
- 30:00 – Starting a business in an economic downturn
- 37:00 – How long did it take to get profitable?
- 40:00 – Don’t let the competition distract you
- 42:30 – First mover advantage and proving the business model
- 45:00 – Dealing with haters, criticism, and confrontations
Mentions in the Episode:
Episode Length: 49:26
- Direct Download: Right-click here and click “Save As” for a direct download
- iTunes: Listen and subscribe on iTunes for free!
- Android: Listen via Stitcher Internet Radio streaming
- Blackberry: Listen via the Blackberry Podcast App
- Zune: Listen via Zune
- If you enjoyed this episode, leave a positive review on iTunes!