- Would you rather text message someone than talk on the phone?
- Are you addicted to updating your Facebook status or Tweet multiple times a day?
- When you are alone in public, do you get anxious, fidget, and then reach for your phone?
Sherry Turkle studies how our devices and online personas are redefining human connection and communication — and asks us to think deeply about the new kinds of connection we want to have.
How does this affect the business of eCommerce store owners?
- “Human relationships are rich and they’re messy and they’re demanding.”
- “People get so used to being short-changed out of real conversation… that they’ve become almost willing to dispense with people altogether.”
- “… from social networks to sociable robots, we’re designing technologies that will give us the illusion of companionship without the demands of friendship.”
In an online world where everyone is anonymous and lonely, adding a personal touch to all aspects of your business will allow you to stand out from the competition.
- Customer Service: Offer live chat, handwritten thank you notes, or custom thank you videos on YouTube.
- Website: Show pictures of you at work or introduce the staff – people want to buy from people, not an anonymous online store.
- Product Pages: Give “behind the scenes” pictures of the production or fulfillment process.
- Facebook Page: Let your fans know that you are a human outside of the office.
In the end it’s all about building a connection, and the best way is by showing that you are also a human being. Delight people through your stories, personality, and authenticity.