After West coast jobs in the entertainment industry, lots of travel and moving around – Matt Pugliese and Tom O’Connor settled in Brooklyn as a home base to launch Little Island Kitchen. Brooklyn is the heart of the small batch food movement, and they thrive on connecting unique local producers around the United States with adventurous home chefs through their online store.
- 03:00 – Story of Little Island Kitchen and main product lines
- 04:00 – Sourcing and finding suppliers
- 05:30 – How they add value to local and independent suppliers
- 08:30 – Gift boxes, order predictability, and prior corporate relationships
- 10:30 – Appreciation of personal touches that differentiate
- 13:00 – Unique products that they offer
- 16:00 – Dealing with perishable products and inventory management
- 20:00 – New channels of distribution for local producers
- 23:00 – Figuring out who your initial customers are
- 27:30 – Discipline of running lean and starting out slow
- 32:00 – Advice for someone starting out
Mentions in the Episode:
Episode Length: 36:33
- Direct Download: Right-click here and click “Save As” for a direct download
- iTunes: Listen and subscribe on iTunes for free!
- Android: Listen via Stitcher Internet Radio streaming
- Blackberry: Listen via the Blackberry Podcast App
- Zune: Listen via Zune
- If you enjoyed this episode, leave a positive review on iTunes!